Here are some tips to consider:
- Set a concrete block or heavy rock on top of your cart;
- Secure the lid by crisscrossing two bungee cords on your cart. PLEASE remove bungee cords in the morning of your collection day as cords can get caught in the tipping mechanism on the trucks and can cause injury to drivers (and bystanders);
- Deter raccoons and other pests by sprinkling mothballs, dry detergent, powder, or cayenne pepper around your carts;
- Animals hate the smell of ammonia–try spraying the interior of your carts with it;
- Check with your municipality to inquire about trap and release programs.