Roads must be accessible for collection vehicles. The following guidelines apply in all circumstances:
- Your road must be unobstructed, have a good solid base to accommodate a truck’s weight.
- Trucks require an opening of 10 feet wide by 13 feet high (overhanging branches must be trimmed accordingly).
- There must be a suitable turning area wide enough for trucks to provide continuous service without the need to reverse out (the same radius as a school bus).
- The road surface must be relatively smooth (no large potholes or too soft for heavy vehicles).
- Snow must be removed and icy surfaces sanded or salted to provide necessary traction for large vehicles.
In addition, collection vehicles must follow spring road restrictions posted by the PEI Government.
IMPORTANT: If trucks cannot access your road, either permanently or during certain seasons, IWMC suggests that carts and blue bags be placed at the closest serviceable road by 7 a.m. on collection day. Give us a call at 1-888-280-8111 if additional information is required.