During warmer months, the primary cause of odours and insects in the carts are meat and fish as well as excess moisture from fruit, vegetables, and grass clippings. Here are a few suggestions to help manage the carts in the summertime:
- Use boxboard (cereal boxes, etc.) to contain wet organics or use paper kitchen bags for food scraps;
- Sprinkle table salt, hydrated lime or baking soda in the cart;
- Coffee grounds can be helpful to reduce odours;
- Wash your empty carts using a garden hose and mild detergent;
- Recycle grass clippings by leaving them on your lawn;
- Store your carts in a shady area if possible;
- Reduce food waste by planning and cooking only what your family will use.